Stepchange Debt Charity Website
We are looking to recruit a strong leader as Head of Internal Communications in an exciting leadership role based at our Leeds office. With this role you would become part of the UK’s largest provider of genuinely free independent debt advice and managed solutions.
Every year we help 620,000 people to resolve their debt problems and rebuild their lives. We employ over 1,500 colleagues and in our 25-year history we’ve helped millions of people on their journey to becoming debt free.
Right now, we’re working to deliver an ambitious four-year strategy which will see us helping more people, responding to changing client needs, and working closely with our partners to reduce the harm of problem debt.
What you will be doing
This role leads the development of an effective internal communications strategy and plan across the charity.
Our Internal Communication plays a vital role at the charity in managing change, delivering key messages and understanding the impact of change on all our colleagues. This role leads, develops and implements our internal communications strategy and plan to meet the needs of our diverse internal audiences and ensuring this lands with real impact.
The role is a leadership role on the organisational Senior Leadership Group and support colleagues at all levels to communicate their work
This role reports directly into the Director of External Affairs.
- Lead the development of an internal communications strategy and plan that supports the strategic objectives of the charity and is aligned to the business plan
- Develop and lead internal communication activities that promote and build common knowledge of the charity’s vision and values
- Engage with colleagues across the organisation and effectively business partner with teams and senior leaders to inform and excite colleagues about the breadth of our work.
- Support the Executive and wider Senior Leadership Group to build their profile and communicate the work of their teams.
- Working alongside the Marketing team develop the ‘tone of voice’ and internal brand messages to support the Operations team in the integration of the brand into client interactions
- Play an important role within StepChange’s leadership team, engaging with colleagues from across the charity and supporting the Executive.
- Some travel will be involved as we have regional offices in Glasgow, London, Birmingham, Newcastle, Chester & Cardiff
Experience and knowledge (specific to the role)
- Experience of leading a Communications team
- Good understanding of the role of internal communications within an organisation and sound understanding of appropriate channels
- Proven track record of managing external providers/suppliers
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative approach, excellent relationship building, planning and organisational skills with attention to detail
- Able to maintain poise under pressure and to adapt quickly and effectively
- Able to work independently or collaboratively as appropriate to develop ideas
- Managing communication of large-scale change projects (desirable)
- Previous experience of employee branding programmes, employee engagement and cultural change (desirable)
- Experience of new media in delivering communications (desirable)
- CIPD qualified (desirable)
- Practical and pragmatic approach to delivery. Able to plan and prioritise effectively to achieve demanding targets and deadlines
We value our colleagues
We don’t just care for our clients and those people who contact us for help. We also value our colleagues, and this role comes complete with a generous benefit package which includes:
27 days annual leave (this increases by one day per year up to a maximum of 32), plus bank holidays
- The ability to buy and sell annual leave
- Travel season ticket loans
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Group personal pension scheme
- Westfield Health cash plan
- Employee assistance programme
- Financial planning
- Long service awards
- Performance related bonus (must start before 1st March)
- Westfield Rewards (colleague discount scheme)
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://jobs.stepchange.org/vacancy/head-of-internal-communications-379560.html →