Exciting opportunities in a truly unique environment.
If you want to work in a unique and innovative environment, then AWE could be the perfect place for you – whether you are a scientist, an engineer, a mechanic or a business professional. Whatever stage you’re at in your career, we’re always looking for high quality candidates.
Role: Head of Internal Communications & Engagement
Location: Reading area
Closing date: 15/5/19
Package: Competitive Salary plus defined contribution pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme, and excellent work/life balance including nine day working fortnight.
Due to an exciting period of change and transformation, AWE are looking to recruit a Head of Internal Communications and Engagement to provide overall leadership and direction for Internal Communications & Engagement (IC&E) at AWE.
As part of the Corporate Communication leadership team, you will be expected to direct, manage and influence organisation-wide internal communications and engagement to build understanding of and commitment to AWE’s strategy, plan and values.
The role has overall accountability for delivering the strategy and plan for internal communications and engagement and to create the conditions in which people acorss AWE are engaged and contribute to organisational success .
Key accountabilities will include:
- Work in partnership with the Corporate Comunications leadership team to develop integrated and effective internal communications plans and a high quality team to deliver it.
- Provide leadership and direction to drive pro-active, joined-up, timely and effective communications plans in support of AWE’s goals and priorities.
- Work with the AWE Leadership team, HR, the Change Management team and other key stakeholders, to integrate the IC&E Strategy to maximise employee engagement, and deliver value for our customer.
- Provide guidance on the appropriate stance and position for the organisation on key issues drawn from employee engagement and other surveys and feedback.
- Establish clear policies, processes, performance measures and targets against which to track progress and take action.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Deliver IC&E strategy fully aligned with the AWE business and Corporate Communications strategies.
- Lead, manage and develop IC&E team with clear objectives and development around the delivery of Corporate objectives.
- Play an active role in AWE’s leadership community, supporting and developing communications and engagement practices with them and providing expert advice to support leadership communications and engagement.
- Maintain 12-month rolling plan and message framework for business and change communications.
- Responsible for planning and delivering communications and engagement activities.
- Provide AWE with an effective set of internal communications channels ensuring that corporate messages are understood and translated into behaviours.
- Deliver programmes which provide a line of sight for employees with the Corporate Strategy and the Values and Behaviours expected in AWE to deliver it.
- Oversee employee engagement survey and related actions, as well as the development of a system to measure the impact of communications.
- Use measurement as the basis for driving continuous improvement in internal communications.
- Oversee the development of policies, processes, standards and guidelines to ensure the highest quality of contribution for the function consistently across TfL and in a way that drives value, eliminates duplication and improves productivity.
- Plan IC&E budget and manage IC&E activities within forecasts, ensuring best value for money.
- Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality.
- The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs.
To be successful in this role, you should hold a professional qualification e.g. CIPR, Internal Communication Certificate/Diploma or equivalent and Membership of professional institute e.g. IABC, IoIC.
In addition, you must be able to demonstrate strong theory and application of internal/change communications and employee engagement techniques/practices, alongside solid business, commercial and financial acumen.
As a leader, you must possess excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to influence and give guidance at all levels while managing numerous projects.
Due to the nature of our work, practical experience in copywriting, editing, campaign planning and implementation of a communications response in a crisis/emergency situation is required.
Proven experience of designing and delivering robust and effective BAU/change and project specific strategies and plans that deliver demonstrable impact are essential, as is working experience of internal communications/change management.
Due to the nature of our work, you must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the Security Clearance required for this role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.