Department for Transport Website
Are you passionate about building trust and commitment to change through clear and effective communications making full use of all available internal channels?
Do you want to be part of leading a communications team to fulfil the Digital Service mission “To equip everyone working in the Department for Transport to use digital, data and technology with confidence, ambition and creativity” and demonstrate these behaviours yourself?
If so then the new role of Internal Communications Manager could be for you! This is an exciting opportunity to build and lead an internal communications capability embedded into the departments Digital Service, building trust and confidence between diverse employee groups and a number of complex change projects.
As the Internal Communications Manager you will be involved in shaping why, how and what we communicate to our internal team and across the department. There will be the opportunity to share best practice, develop others and innovative as we equip everyone to use digital, data and technology with confidence, ambition and creativity. You will be leading the communications for our Digital Service, and as such you will ensure that potential business value from new services are captured, optimised and communicated.
Role responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Build and maintain a communications strategy for the department’s Digital Service with a forward look ensuring communications are pro-active throughout the year and ensure delivery against the strategy.
- Develop and coordinate activity and horizon scanning for potential communication opportunities; develop the campaign narrative; plan, produce, publish and place innovative, engaging, audience focused digital, written, audio, face-to-face and visual content for use across a wide range of central and internal communication channels.
- Planning, delivering and evaluating campaign activity across internal communications platforms.
- Ensuring that potential business value from digital services is captured, optimised and communicated across the department and externally as appropriate.
- Build key relationships across the organisation (including policy teams, press office and communications contacts across the DfT and in other government departments).
- Translate business objectives into communications objectives and generate ideas and plans to meet them.
- Identify and build audiences, gather insight and deliver engagement.
- Spot opportunities to advance our communications objectives and identify and manage risks.
- Work with project delivery teams to ensure communications is on time, ensuring adaptability to project communication demands in a timely manner.
- Lead on communications activities for Digital Service events, e.g. all-staff away days, service launches
- Responsible to manage and co-ordinate Digital Service response to FOI’s and PQs, directly liaising with DfT agencies.
Please see the attached Job Description for an in-depth view of the posts.
We would love for you to passionate about internal communications, a strong leader with excellent written and verbal skills, including presenting to all levels of stakeholders and staff. For this role you will need to be confident in influencing Senior level management, plan strategically, working with people from different levels within the business and be able to deal with ambiguity. This role is to support the journey within Digital so you will understand and support communicating complicated technology change projects in communicating the impact on impacted employee groups.
We are part of the Department for Transport (DfT). DfT is a great place to work, and our ‘one team’ approach really makes a difference. We value our staff and that’s why we’re committed to nurturing an inclusive environment across the Department.
You’ll be part of an innovative organisation that invests in all our people, ensuring we have the diverse skills to deliver transport that moves Britain ahead now and into the future.
Find out more about what it’s like working at the Department for Transport.
DfT has been recognised for its leadership on workplace gender equality by being included in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2017.
DfT’s inclusion is recognition of our commitment to make the Department a great place to work through our culture of equality and inclusivity and the great strides we’ve made to raise the number of women in senior positions.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Communication – Insight
- Communication – Impact
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/jobs.cgi?jcode=1619498 →