BDO’s central communications team aims to enable profitable conversations between the firm’s Leadership Team and Lead Partners and a variety of audiences to help the firm deliver against its strategy and achieve its goals. We create communications that people enjoy, not endure, and that help to drive employee engagement or brand recognition and advocacy. We were voted Corp Comms In-House Comms Team of the Year (2017) and PR Week’s In-House PR Team of the Year (2014). We have won numerous IoIC, CIP, PR Week, IoIC and SABRE awards for our external and internal communications programmes over the last five years.
We are looking for an Internal Communications Manager (ICM) for a 12 month fixed term contract to help deliver our firm-wide internal communications programme to our 5,000 people. Working to our Head of Internal Communications, the ICM will design and deliver internal communication of strategic and business-as-usual projects and announcements, with particular focus on communications from our Practice Management Departments (known as PMDs, for example IT, Finance, Marketing, Risk).
- Play a key role in delivering the firm-wide internal communications programme for BDO in the UK
- Demonstrate an understanding of the firm’s vision, strategy and internal engagement, using this to inform your approach and as a foundation for all of your work
- Understand how to motivate firm-wide audiences to engage with and listen to priority communications from key support functions
- Support the Head of Internal Communications in the development of the firm-wide communications strategy and plan, collating the firm’s Storyboard and advising on firm-wide sequencing
- Directly support and guide the PMDs in the strategy and delivery of their communications to certain audiences. These include IT, Finance, Market Sales & Clients, Property & Facilities Management, and Quality & Risk
- Support key stakeholders to create and deliver creative communications plans to educate our people and/or drive behaviour change
- Drive the development of cross-PMD communications campaigns to support the business and help each other to succeed
- Foster and maintain positive relationships focused on delivery with key stakeholders
- Support the firm in developing digital campaigns via Yammer (and other), as well as utilising our other central channels (intranet, videos, desktop wallpapers, posters etc.)
- Lead the internal communication of multiple projects at once, managing time and resources effectively
- Understand – and help to deliver – our communications and channel strategies
- Work alongside the rest of the team to ensure our central communications channels are fit-for-purpose and future-ready, particularly our intranet and internal social media network
- Support the Head of Internal Communications to evaluate results against spend and effort
- Alongside the team, ensure communications programmes are shared with, and evaluated for, the Leadership Team, relevant Boards and key stakeholders
- Ensure key stakeholders are informed of activity, progress, challenges and results
- Manage relationships with suppliers and ensure they deliver on time and within budget and scope
- Be an ambassador for the Communications team and for integrated communications
We’re looking for someone who is/has…
- Passionate about effective and creative communications that drive behaviour change and/or educate the audience
- Motivated by working collaboratively with a variety of teams to achieve success for the firm overall
- Regularly shows initiative in starting new projects or thinking of new ways in maximising existing programmes
- Experienced in designing and implementing internal communications plans
- Discrete and trustworthy in dealing in confidential information
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with excellent copywriting, copy editing and proofreading skills
- Writes in plain English, removing jargon and management speak
- Demonstrates good project management skills to help others deliver their communications plans
- Pays attention to detail, especially when juggling a high volume of work
- Excellent diplomacy and negotiation skills to deal with internal clients, building trust and rapport to motivate others
- Flexible in times of ambiguity or conflicting deadlines
- Has high expectations of themselves and their team and delivers quality results
- Can be trusted to “get stuff done” and build their own relationships with key stakeholders
- Is used to working to deadlines, even with competing tasks, and manages their time and resource to suit
- Role models our values
- Has a thorough understanding of the internal communications channel mix
- Committed to ongoing learning and curious to develop new or existing skills or learn about new (digital) channel opportunities
- Experienced in filming or managing external film companies to produce video for internal communication
- Has experience in using digital channels, such as Yammer or Jive
- Experienced in using SharePoint
- Proven track record in delivering effective communications programmes that produce tangible results or change
- Wants to be part of an award-winning team
Why do you want to work for us?
Is it because you want every day to be different? Is it because you want the chance to bring your ideas to life? Is it because you like to be empowered in your role? Is it because you want to grow, develop and build a career? At BDO, our vision is to be an independent, sustainably-profitable and globally-focused firm; known for helping people and businesses succeed.
Everyone in our business is united behind this goal; it’s our core purpose, it’s why we come to work in the morning. We achieve this by building an inclusive and empowering culture that encourages people to ‘be themselves’, work together and deliver exceptional results.
This makes BDO a great place to work. People who come here find it different to other firms – there’s no bureaucracy, no fancy corner offices for senior partners, no “them and us” culture. Because the most important thing is that we work together to help our people and our clients be as successful as possible.